Stampa Abogados offers its clients its broad and extensive experience of providing global advice to a wide range of construction companies in Spain and has led and participated in several judicial and arbitral ad hoc and institutional proceedings.
Furthermore, we have defended our clients’ interests by giving preventive advice regarding the contracting and subcontracting of services in this sector.
Our experience in the sector is largely focused on disputes over contracts for the implementation of construction work, reforms, demolition, the integral management of building projects, rehabilitation of buildings of every category, as well as global monitoring to guarantee the building work is carried out correctly and that all guarantees are honored.
As counsel in arbitration proceedings our cases include amongst others:
- The representation of a Spanish electricity company in several arbitration proceedings before the International Court of Arbitration of the International Chamber of Commerce (ICC) over the protection of direct foreign investment in Cuba, under the Hispano-Cuban Bilateral Investment Treaty. The disputes concerned the early termination of several joint venture hotel contracts, hotel management contracts and contracts for building investment, reforms and the refurbishment of hotel complexes.
- The representation of a Spanish company under the Rules of the United Nations Commission on International Trade Law (UNCITRAL), over a subcontractor’s claim from the owner of the construction work for over costs incurred in the construction of a diaphragm wall in a hotel in Guadalajara (Spain).
- The representation of a Spanish company in an arbitration under the Rules of the Madrid Bar Association (ICAM), for construction defects detected in the rehabilitation of an apartment building.
- The representation of a Spanish investor against several investors in an arbitration under the Rules of the International Court of Arbitration of the International Chamber of Commerce (ICC) over a claim of several German investors in relation to the construction of a hotel complex in Palma de Mallorca.
- The representation of a German food distribution chain during several arbitration proceedings under the Rules of the Civil and Commercial Court of Arbitration (CIMA) over the termination of several contracts for the leasing of business premises.
As arbitrators our cases include amongst others:
- Sole arbitrator in an arbitration under the Rules of the Madrid Bar Association (ICAM) over the demolition of a housing complex, subsequent construction work and a claim for damages incurred as a result of construction defects.
- Arbitrator in an arbitration tribunal under the Rules of the Madrid Bar Association (ICAM) over the construction of a prison complex in the Dominican Republic by a Spanish investor.
- Sole arbitrator in ad hoc arbitration over a claim for damages incurred during the construction of an office building in Madrid.
- Sole arbitrator in an arbitration under the Rules of the European Association of Arbitration (AEADE) for a dispute over the ownership of a plot of land in Madrid destined for the service industry.
- Sole arbitrator in an arbitration under the Rules of the Civil and Commercial Court of Arbitration (CIMA) for disputes that arose during the construction of a library in Spain.
As counsel in Spanish courts our cases include amongst others:
- The representation of a major construction firm before all judicial instances, including filing an appeal before the Supreme Court, following a breach of contract on the part of our client.